Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Multi server administration broken in SQL Server 2005

Hello,
When I try to setup multiserver administration for SQL Server I
always get the error 'The enlist operation failed (reason:
SQLServerAgent Error: Unable to connect to MSX 'my master server name')
(Microsoft SQL Server, Error 22026). I have a fresh installation of the
two instances (the one who must become the master and the one who must
become target. The sql service and sql server agent accounts are a
domain accounts (both servers sit in the same domain) and have full
administrative rights. I have enabled the tcp and named pipes network
library on both sql servers and applied SP1 on both servers.
Frankly I have tried to get this working from the first CTP until now
and never succeed, either I'm doing something wrong our multiserver
administration does not work at all on Sql server 2005.
Has someone managed to get this working on SQL Server 2005 and if so
how did he get it to work.
To be honest this is the third time I ask this question on this
newsgroup but I have never had a reply with a solution, so I'm tempted
to thing that this is broken on SQL Server 2005. If so I have to start
telling my students that this is one thing which does not work (unless
at least someone reports that it is working for him.
Thx.
Marc Mertensconfiguration for tsx/msx is set (by default) to only allow certified
servers. Google search on "msx2005" and /or security. There is a registry
entry you need to change to allow servers w/o certificates in msx/tsx
configuration.
"Marc Mertens" wrote:

> Hello,
> When I try to setup multiserver administration for SQL Server I
> always get the error 'The enlist operation failed (reason:
> SQLServerAgent Error: Unable to connect to MSX 'my master server name')
> (Microsoft SQL Server, Error 22026). I have a fresh installation of the
> two instances (the one who must become the master and the one who must
> become target. The sql service and sql server agent accounts are a
> domain accounts (both servers sit in the same domain) and have full
> administrative rights. I have enabled the tcp and named pipes network
> library on both sql servers and applied SP1 on both servers.
> Frankly I have tried to get this working from the first CTP until now
> and never succeed, either I'm doing something wrong our multiserver
> administration does not work at all on Sql server 2005.
> Has someone managed to get this working on SQL Server 2005 and if so
> how did he get it to work.
> To be honest this is the third time I ask this question on this
> newsgroup but I have never had a reply with a solution, so I'm tempted
> to thing that this is broken on SQL Server 2005. If so I have to start
> telling my students that this is one thing which does not work (unless
> at least someone reports that it is working for him.
> Thx.
> Marc Mertens
>

No comments:

Post a Comment