Monday, March 26, 2012

Multi level document map

Hello,

I am using SRS 2000 and was wondering if there is any way to have more than 1 level in my document map.

Here is the scenario:

I have a report that displays

Customer

Contract 1

Project 1

Project 2

Contract 2

Project 1

Project 2

etc...

I would like the document map to include a list of Customers, Contracts and Projects as some people who view the report know the contract code they are interested in, others know the project code and others know the customers.

However, when I set it up I get a list with them all jumbled together:

Report Name

Customer 1

Project 1

Customer 2

Contract 1

etc...

I would like the document map to have separate levels for each of them:

Report Name

Customer

Customer 1

Customer 2

Contract

Contract 1

Contract 2

Project

Project 1

Project 2

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks,

Paul.

If this isn't possible in SRS 2000 is it possible in SRS 2005 instead?

Cheers.

Paul.

|||

It looks like you are using a table group layout.

On the table group for customers, make sure to set the document label expression on the table grouping dialog. You should then get the hierarchical document map as desired.

-- Robert

|||

I feel like I am getting closer but further away at the same time....

I have played around with setting up document map lables at the table level, and at the group levels instead of at the field level.

If I set it at the table level, that just gives me 1 more drill down level ie:

Report Name

Table Level Lable

Customer 1

Project 1

Customer 2

etc...

If I set it at the group level I get the following:

Report Name

Customer 1

Contract 1

Project 1

Project 2

Contract 2

Project 1

Customer 2

etc...

I think my problem is that I want a list of Customers, Contracts and Projects that are not related in any way. So that if for example you knew that you wanted to jump to project PA1234 you would not have to go through the Company and Contract levels to get there.

I want:

Report Name

Customers

Customer 1

Customer 2

Contracts

Contract 1

Contract 2

Projects

Project 1

Project 2

I am not sure that I will be able to do this due to the Customers - Contracts - Projects structure.

I'll have another play and see what I can find.

|||

In order to have Customers, Contracts, and Projects at the same level, you will need to use multiple tables next to each other. The first table groups by customers, the second by contracts, and so on.

-- Robert

|||I don't know if this would be helpful to you since it was so long ago. But maybe for people who have an issue like this in the future...

I wanted to display hierarchical data in the document map as a tree, and I finally stumbled upon a solution, of sorts.

I return the data hierarchically arranged in my result set already (though that may not be necessary, now that I think about it). But reporting services has in the "Details Grouping..." facility for the table, the ability to display data hierarchically for you. At the same time, there is a "Document map label" field just above the "Parent group" field. When I populated that field (in my case, with the Name value) it worked like a charm.

Actually (now that I take a quick last look), I don't know how to pre-expand the tree to my satisfaction, but I guess I can live with that for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment