Wednesday, March 28, 2012

multi processor licensing

I have a server with 4 processors. I was looking at buying SQL 2000 1
processor, but since I have 4 processors would I need to get 4 copies?
That would be a little pricey! The MS FAQ Site says:
Q. Do I have to license all of the processors in a server?
A. You only have to acquire licenses for processors that are accessible to
any copy of the operating system upon which SQL Server 2000 is installed.
What does this mean? I don't know a lot about multi-processor servers.
Would only one of the processors have access to the OS'?
TIA!!!You would have to remove 3 processors from the machine. Or use some setting
in the BIOS so that the
operating system only sees one of the processors.
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
http://www.solidqualitylearning.com/
http://www.sqlug.se/
"Qyl" <Qyl@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C2071336-12AE-4CA4-9E2A-F6A6F2659496@.microsoft.com...
>I have a server with 4 processors. I was looking at buying SQL 2000 1
> processor, but since I have 4 processors would I need to get 4 copies?
> That would be a little pricey! The MS FAQ Site says:
> Q. Do I have to license all of the processors in a server?
> A. You only have to acquire licenses for processors that are accessible t
o
> any copy of the operating system upon which SQL Server 2000 is installed.
> What does this mean? I don't know a lot about multi-processor servers.
> Would only one of the processors have access to the OS'?
> TIA!!!
>
>|||Have you considered Server + CAL licensing instead? Processor licensing
is required if this is for a web server but otherwise CAL licensing may
save you money.
David Portas
SQL Server MVP
--

No comments:

Post a Comment